[rules-users] Drools-solver -- solution questions

Andrew Waterman andrew.waterman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 17:36:44 EST 2009

Hello,

I'm starting to work with the drools-solver to help on a gaming
project.  Basically, we have a game that works in two modes:  1) a
competitive game where humans (or agents) compete with one another on
a well defined game board to achieve 24 points by using three (or
four) agricultural development tokens.  2.  A puzzle, where all 4
players work cooperatively to create an equitable solution, where all
4 players win with at least 24 points by means of our agricultural
development tokens.

I am starting to work with drools-solver to address the puzzle part of
our game.  Basically, we are interested in having the solver do two
things for us:  a)  find the optimal solution for our game/puzzle,
based upon our requirements [this part seems quite straightforward]
and b) getting  the total number of solutions that satisfy our
constraints.  We would like, as well, to be able to inspect these
other, sub-optimal, solutions, in order to explore our game and puzzle
further.  From my reading of the "Solver" API , it looks like we will
only be able to get the optimal solution.  Does anyone have any
suggestions for a workaround in this case?  Or is there some
functionality in the solver that I am missing?

I look forward to your feedback.

best wishes,

Andrew

Andrew Waterman
San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico