[rules-users] Re: drools-solver - magic name of scoreCalculator => Solution has a Sore and is inserted into the working memory

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 10:03:44 EST 2009

I am actually considering a couple of designs, which also happens to
solve the problem of the magic name of the scoreCalculator.

1) a score will no longer be a double, but an instance of a new
interface Score. This will means that a score of an int hard and int
soft will be represented as it should be: an int hard and an int soft.
That has 2 advantages:
- you could use implement their own Score, if the out-of-the-box types
don't suffice, say int hard, BigDecimal soft, double verySoft.
- it would be possible to decide the step, not on a normal compareTo,
where hard is always higher then soft, but on (hard * hardAsSoftWeight +
soft), where hardAsSoftWeight changes:
it's normally very high, but when  no hard constraints are broken in a
long time, it temporarily goes down.
This allows the local search to take steps that break a hard constraints
for a while, passing through hard barriers. Experiments have proven that
this gives better results.

2) a Solution has a Score. That Score can be uninitialized or dirty.
A Solution is also inserted into the working memory (along with it's facts).
Every changing fact (Queen, Lesson, Exam, ...) will also need to hold a
reference to it's Solution.
That way every ConstraintOccurrence can hold a reference to it's Solution.
Then the calculateScore rule will update the score in a solution,
instead of putting it into a global. The solver still has a reference to
the solution, so it can retrieve the score.
This allows for multiple solution instances to be put into same working
memory and there's no magic scoreCalculator.

What do you think? Criticism welcome :)

Of course, backward compatibility will be broken (as stated in the
manual), but everything will be documented into an upgradeRecipe.txt,
so it shouldn't be to hard to upgrade to a newer version.

With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet