[rules-users] Extend Guvnor

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Tue Jun 16 11:01:45 EDT 2009

Andy Mei wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    Long time user of Drools (dated back in xml syntax days).  We are
> looking to revamp our in house rules product which is based on Drools
> 3.x.  We have built a Swing thick client that provides similar
> functionality as Guvnor such as rule editing, versioning, deployment
> (with approval system).  One major feature we do have is rule
> simulation.  We allow user to simulate rules and display results while
> user save or seek approval of their rules before deploy to production
> system.  The simulation feature allows user to run against production
> or testing environment to ensure it provide correct results.  I wonder
> if Guvnor has such extensibility interface build in which I could add
> my own functionality such as simulation and result browsing?  Since
> Guvnor is based on Seam and GWT (i think), I could probably fork the
> source and tweak the UI, but I much rather code against an interface
> supported by Drools.
>
>   Thoughts? TIA.
>
> PS:  I am curious how are existing Drools user test their rules currently?
Guvnor has a simple scenario tester in the QA section. that allows you
to run some rules against a set of data and asserting the expected results.

I'm currently working on a more complete framework, although just the
backend api at the moment, for simulation and testing. I hope to have
something usable in the next few days. I think the initial plan is to
map it to an DSL in MVEL and also to maybe do a mapping to a spreadsheet
metaphor. The simulation impl I'm doing will be very complete and allow
for testing of rules, workflow and event processing. I'll blog about it
once something is ready.

Not sure how this will plug into guvnor, other than the uploading and
displaying of spreadsheets. One idea is to have a chronoscope time line,
which displays all the steps and when they are suppose to happen. If you
select a step, it shows the MVEL DSL fragment for that step which can be
edited - just simple text area. After that works, we can probably work
on various GUI editors for the step segments.

Mark

http://blog.athico.com Drools Blog.