[rules-users] wait states, jpdl and nlp

Kris Verlaenen Kris.Verlaenen at cs.kuleuven.be
Tue Jun 23 08:50:44 EDT 2009

Let me try to answer the first set of questions:

> - does RuleFlow support arbitrary long wait states, in other words,
> can I call long-running services from it asynchronously?

Of course, there are various nodes that behave as some sort of wait
node.  For example, a work item node waits until the work it has
requested is completed (a human task node is a special case of this).
An event wait node (or the more generic wait state that will be
introduced in 5.1) allows you to wait for some condition (or manual
trigger), etc.  If you want to call a long-running service
asynchronously, take a look at the work item node and use a work item
handler that completes the work item asynchronously.

> - if not, can I put JPDL node in rule flow process definition, and if
> yes, how?

If you would want to extend the current set of nodes, that would be
possible, but you would need to dive into the internals to do that.  But
I don't think that is necessary.  The work item and wait state nodes
should be all you need I think.

Kris