[rules-users] What does the arrow ("->") mean in a rule file?

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Sun May 3 03:38:32 EDT 2009

   The "arrow" is an old syntax from the Drools 3.0 times that is no longer
necessary and was deprecated in 4. It is the exact same thing as a
bind+eval:

MemberBlog(member : member -> (member.getUsername().equals(
principal.getName())))

   Above is exact same thing as:

MemberBlog(member : member, eval(member.getUsername().equals(
principal.getName())))

   But in Drools 4 and 5, that can be simplified to:

MemberBlog( member.username == principal.name )

   Much cleaner as you can see.

   []s
   Edson

2009/5/1 lightbulb432 <veerukrishnan at hotmail.com>

> What does the arrow ("->") mean in a rule file? I've searched on Google,
> looked through the Drools documentation, and haven't been able to find out
> what it does.
>
> It appears in the autocomplete of my IDE for Drools, and I've seen it in an
> example in the JBoss Seam documentation, but am unable to tell what it
> does:
>
> rule InsertMemberBlog
>  no-loop
>  activation-group "permissions"
> when
>  principal: Principal()
>  memberBlog: MemberBlog(member : member ->
> (member.getUsername().equals(principal.getName())))
>  check: PermissionCheck(target == memberBlog, action == "insert", granted
> == false)
> then
>  check.grant();
> end;