[rules-users] keeping running stats

Chris Richmond crichmond at referentia.com
Wed May 27 16:13:18 EDT 2009

Hello,

I have modified the stockTicker fusion example to keep some running stats,
you can see from the rule snippet below that it injects a stats object based
on the symbol then matches them as updates come in later.  You can see for
now I am just updating the running counts and outputting the readings count
on each stock tick and this works fine.

What I would like to do however is only have the running averages,stats
object reflect stock ticks that are still in memory..essentiall only stock
tick items that have not expired.  As it is now the count just keeps growing
and growing, I want the count to only reflect the stock ticks within the
expiration time in the past for stock ticks, but I cannot figure out how to
make this happen?    Could anyone give me a pointer on how to do this?  How
to make the stats object only reflect those stock ticks that have not
expired?  I do not know the strategy for this.

Thanks,

Chris

# tells the engine that a StockTick instance will assume the

# role (semantics) of events and that the default retention

# policy will be 2 minutes

declare StockTick

    @role( event )

    @expires( 1m )

end

# One can even declare helper facts to make rules easier and

# simpler to write and maintain

declare Statistics

    symbol : String @key()

    average : double

    readings : int

    total : double

end

rule "Setup statistics"

when

   $c : Company( $s : symbol )

   not( Statistics( symbol == $s ) )

then

   Statistics s = new Statistics();

   s.symbol = $s;

   s.readings = s.readings + 1;

   insert( s );

end

# a simple rule to show that it is possible to join

# events from an entry-point (stream) with facts

# present in the working memory

rule "Update stock stats"

    agenda-group "evaluation"

    lock-on-active

when

    $cp : Company( $sb : symbol )

    $st : StockTick( symbol == $sb, $pr : price ) from entry-point
"StockTick stream"

      $stats : Statistics( symbol == $sb  )

then

      modify( $stats ) { readings = readings + 1};

      System.err.println($stats.symbol + "readings: " + $stats.readings);

    // This shows an update on working memory facts with data from joined
events

    //modify( $cp ) { currentPrice = $pr }

    // Although events are considered immutable, a common pattern is to use
a class

    // to represent an event and enrich that event instance with data
derived from other facts/events.

    // Bellow we "enrich" the event instance with the percentual change in
the price,

    // based on the previous price

    //modify( $st ) { delta = $cp.delta }

    //modify( $st ) { readings = 5 }