[rules-users] Drools Flow, threads and persistence in a clustered environment

Alexandros Karypidis akarypid at yahoo.gr
Mon Oct 5 17:02:07 EDT 2009

Hello,

We plan to use Drools (Flow) in our application for managing
long-running processes. High-availability is important to us and
therefore we target a clustered JBoss environment with 3 nodes. We are
looking for advice on how to approach this from a Drools perspective.
Can anybody share their experiences on running Drools in a cluster? The
following scenarios come to mind:

1) A "singleton" ksession runs constantly on one of the nodes and does
all the work; it migrates when the node goes down to another machine.

2) Multiple "ksession" instances on different nodes (for distributing
load); when one fails the other picks up its processes by having a
second "ksession" instance created on it and resuming execution.

Are there any wrapper/utility libraries for Drools that help in
clustered environments?

Thank you