[rules-users] Question about signalEvent method

Daniel Miller dmiller at versatile.com
Mon Oct 26 13:13:49 EDT 2009

Alright, I feel dumb posting this question, but I can't seem to find
an answer anywhere.

When I use signalEvent, I know I'm passing it the event I want to
fire, but then there is the "Object event" parameter.  What exactly
happens if I fill this parameter?  What I'd like to do is the following:

Get a running process id, and signal an event on the process -- in my
case "AttachAudio".  However, the AttachAudio is going to be proceeded
by an action, which will be responsible for actually attaching my
audio object to a running Alert in my system.

So, obviously I need to inject the audio object into my process
instance.  Is that what the "event" parameter does on signalEvent?
And if so, how does it know what variable to inject the object into?

If not, how can I do something like processInstance.setVariable
("audio",audioObject);  processInstance.signalEvent
("AttachAudio",null); ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Dan Miller