[rules-users] How to do Exception Handling???

nanic23 nanic23 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 1 10:51:39 EDT 2010

What I'm trying to do is a little different....

I have a ruleflow with a workItem node which has a workItemHandler behind
it. My workItemHandler will call an external system which might throw an
exception. I DO NOT want to catch the exception in the code (or I might but
after doing something with the exception I will re-throw a runtime exception
from my workItemHandler).  I want to have a Process or Composite node
ExceptionHandler to catch this runtime exception and then signal an event to
do the real handling (work).

I have been able to do this but only with drools "Faults". So, the only type
of exception that I am being able to handle with the Process or Composite
node handler are "FAULTS" being raised by a "Fault" node. If I throw a
runtime exception from within my workItemHandler the ExceptionHandler
defined in the Process or Composite node is not catching it.

So, my questions are:
1. Can I have Process or Composite node exception handlers catch my own (or
any other) exception other than just "Faults"? and if so, how can accomplish
that? How I register my custom exception handler?

2. If the above is possible... How can I pass the exception to the custom
exception handler so I can work with it (log the stack trace, etc)?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nick.