[rules-users] Resuming the Flow: SESSION_ID, PROCESS_INSTANCE_ID, WORKITEM_ID

Ed Staub estaub at telcordia.com
Fri Apr 2 16:09:57 EDT 2010

I'm facing similar requirements, I think.
In many cases the other systems that I'll be working with have no place to
stuff a WorkItem Id, etc.

I'm planning to implement a " http://www.eaipatterns.com/SmartProxy.html
Smart Proxy ", which stores in a database a mapping from:
- a unique set of data in the request and the response
- the session-id/process-id/workitem-id necessary to resume.

When a response comes in, the table will be used for correlation.
An event monitor will clean out the table entries when a given process
terminates.

The mapping may be stored as rules - I'm not sure yet.

Thoughts?  Experience?
I'm a total drools-noob - this may make no sense.

Thanks,
-Ed Staub