[rules-users] Access to globals from WorkItemHandlers?

Ed Staub estaub at telcordia.com
Tue Apr 20 13:40:12 EDT 2010

tolitius wrote:

>     If credentials come in to your flow in a "DatabaseCredetials" object,
> I don't really see the problem to map this object into / out from workitem
> handler using "Parameter in/out mapping":

Anatoly,

Forget about flow, for the moment, and just consider rules.
If you could roll back time, and didn't have to consider
backward-compatibility, would you eliminate the ability to use globals in
rule right-hand-side code?
If not:
  Why not?  And does the same logic not apply to the WorkItemHandler
context?

Is your message that "use of globals in any user code (rule right-hand-side
or WorkItemHandler) is strongly deprecated, regardless of whether any
alterations are made?"  That's my interpretation.

-Ed