[rules-users] [planner] curriculum course timetable modeling questions

Joshua Daniel joshua.daniel.k at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 03:03:21 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am a newbie and am currently in the process of evaluating the drools
solver module for generating a timetable. I have couple of questions in this
regard...

1. I have two curriculums (Grade 1 - A, Grade 1 - B) and would like to
allocate a single room for all courses under a curriculum. How do I specify
this constraint?
2. Currently the rules are specified for a single week (i.e. period / time
slot list). How do I specify this for an entire year, does it mean I have to
create additional period / time slot lists for the entire year.
3. There are 5 days and 3 periods per day (i.e. 15 sessions per week) and we
have 6 common subjects and a separate course (German, French) specific to
the curriculum, assuming we equally distribute the load (i.e. if I want all
the courses to be atleast twice a week and just the separate courses
(German, French) to be thrice a week, what should be the lesson size.

Env: I have installed drools-5.0-solver and verifying the above attached XML
via the curriculumcourse sample data.

-jd