[rules-users] [planner] curriculum course timetable modeling questions

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 13:09:54 EDT 2010

With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet

Op 10-08-10 09:03, Joshua Daniel schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie and am currently in the process of evaluating the drools
> solver module for generating a timetable. I have couple of questions in
> this regard...
>
> 1. I have two curriculums (Grade 1 - A, Grade 1 - B) and would like to
> allocate a single room for all courses under a curriculum. How do I
> specify this constraint?
when
  - there is a course for a curriculum for a room
  - and there is a course with a higher id for the same curriculum for a
different room
then
   insertLogical ...

take a look at the other constraints for the actual implementation, but
it pretty much writes itself :)

> 2. Currently the rules are specified for a single week (i.e. period /
> time slot list). How do I specify this for an entire year, does it mean
> I have to create additional period / time slot lists for the entire year.
Seperate course (of the template week) from courseInstance (a course in
a specific week).
Generate all the timeslots and courseInstance of a year (instead of all
those of a week) and insert those too.
Your number of possible solutions will explode (which is ok), to deal
with that you 'll have to mix in big moves to get good results, such as
a move which moves all the courseInstances  of a single course (so the
courseInstances in all different weeks) to another timeslot (in the same
week of the coureInstance)

> 3. There are 5 days and 3 periods per day (i.e. 15 sessions per week)
> and we have 6 common subjects and a separate course (German, French)
> specific to the curriculum, assuming we equally distribute the load
> (i.e. if I want all the courses to be atleast twice a week and just the
> separate courses (German, French) to be thrice a week, what should be
> the lesson size.
No idea :)

> Env: I have installed drools-5.0-solver and verifying the above attached
> XML via the curriculumcourse sample data.
5.1 is out, drools solver has been renamed to drools planner.
Use 5.1 :) See the UpgradingFromPreviousVersionRecipe.txt in the zip
download.