[rules-users] Drools Gunvor and Oryx integration

Patricia Bogoevici patriciabogoevici at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 18:26:57 EDT 2010

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. I followed the steps provided, but I ran into other issues. Below is a short summary of what I did and issues that I ran into.

I re-created Evaluation.bpmn using the designer (localhost:8080/designer/editor), and I configured the task assignments as well to match the Evaluation.bpmn entirely. I exported the process definition as BPMN 2.0 DI xml file, and imported into Drools Eclipse workflow designer. All worked fine so far.

But, when I updated the process definition using Drools Eclipse designer, the process definition was modified by the plugin, and I lost all the assignment configuration. The modification I made was to rename the process id to something more friendly than the autogenerated name by the designer.

Here is an example for the SelfEvaluation task:
This is the structure created by the designer:

   <ns2:userTask implementation="webService" completionQuantity="1" startQuantity="1" isForCompensation="false" name="SelfEvaluation" id="oryx_81B45AAD-8D6E-4876-BC8D-EE3E6FD2C587">
            <ns2:humanPerformer resourceRef="employee">
                <ns2:resourceAssignmentExpression>
                    <ns2:formalExpression>krisv</ns2:formalExpression>
                </ns2:resourceAssignmentExpression>
            </ns2:humanPerformer>
        </ns2:userTask>

This is how it looks after the Drools Eclipse plugin modifies it:

 <userTask id="oryx_81B45AAD-8D6E-4876-BC8D-EE3E6FD2C587" name="SelfEvaluation" implementation="humanTaskWebService" >
      <ioSpecification>
        <inputSet>
        </inputSet>
        <outputSet>
        </outputSet>
      </ioSpecification>
    </userTask>

Basically, Drools Eclipse plugin re-wrote all the BPMN 2.0 elements to match to what Drools engine supports, and I lost all my configuration as result of that.

Next step was to try both of these process definitions in Guvnor/Designer. I seems that Guvnor does not load the BPMN definition into the designer unless its name is Evaluation. I uploaded my 2 Evaluation definitions: the one named EvaluationOryx.bpmn (as I created with the designer), and EvaluationEclipse.bpmn (the modified Evaluation by the Drools Eclipse plugin that removed the assignment configuration), but these 2 were not open using the designer, but instead displayed the option to download or upload a new version.
I did try to open the original Evaluation.bpmn that comes in the sample package using the designer, but it opened the designer empty, as there are issues with opening that diagram. However, I tried to use the import button, to re-create it, but import does not work.

To sum up, the main issue I see here, is that there seem to be too many differences for the BPMN 2.0 implementation between Drools engine and the Oryx designer.

Thanks again for all the help,
--Patricia