[rules-users] Drools Fusion Performance and RETE algorithm

Orlando Costa orlandoricardo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 16:37:46 EDT 2010

Hi Edson,
This was really the kind of information I was looking for, many thanks! (I
think you should even put this text highlighted on the documentation
available at Drools site, these are very valuable insights).

I am kind of new in ESP/CEP (been reading "Event Processing - Designing IT
Systems for Agile Companies" and many other online info), but when you talk
about EPN (Event-Processing Network), this is a concept that I am not yet
familiar. This paragraph were you say:

"Although, the chosen architecture for your kbase and sessions will
obviously have a high impact on the performance metrics you will achieve.
Since you mentioned that in your use case every single fact will match and
cause rules to fire, and the actions involve heavy operations like database
access, I would recommend looking into an "agent" architecture, where you
partition your knowledge base into several kbases with related rules. The
kbases will operate on the atomic (or "raw") events and create the composite
events that you can feed into entry points of sessions of subsequent kbases,
effectively increasing the overall system throughput and simplifying the
maintenance of each agent's kbase in particular."

looks quite interesting to explore. Besides the book I mentioned (and I am
also going to check this on "Event Processing in Action" by Etzion) do you
recommend any resource (book, article, etc) that elaborates more on the
concepts you have described?

Best regards
Orlando.