[rules-users] Drools Fusion Performance and RETE algorithm

Edson Tirelli tirelli at post.com
Wed Aug 18 17:03:26 EDT 2010

   Hi Orlando,

   Dr. David Luckam's website has a lot of content on CEP:

http://www.complexevents.com/

<http://www.complexevents.com/>   Also, his book "The Power of Events" is
considered the publication that formalized the concept of CEP. It is a good
book, very helpful in understanding the overall concepts. Just be aware that
being a "visionary" book, on one hand, lots of requirements for CEP products
described there are still wishful thinking that no product on the market
implemented yet and on the other hand, some products offer several features
that were not envisioned by him at the time.

    Edson

2010/8/18 Orlando Costa <orlandoricardo at gmail.com>

> Hi Edson,
> This was really the kind of information I was looking for, many thanks! (I
> think you should even put this text highlighted on the documentation
> available at Drools site, these are very valuable insights).
>
> I am kind of new in ESP/CEP (been reading "Event Processing - Designing IT
> Systems for Agile Companies" and many other online info), but when you talk
> about EPN (Event-Processing Network), this is a concept that I am not yet
> familiar. This paragraph were you say:
>
> "Although, the chosen architecture for your kbase and sessions will
> obviously have a high impact on the performance metrics you will achieve.
> Since you mentioned that in your use case every single fact will match and
> cause rules to fire, and the actions involve heavy operations like database
> access, I would recommend looking into an "agent" architecture, where you
> partition your knowledge base into several kbases with related rules. The
> kbases will operate on the atomic (or "raw") events and create the
> composite
> events that you can feed into entry points of sessions of subsequent
> kbases,
> effectively increasing the overall system throughput and simplifying the
> maintenance of each agent's kbase in particular."
>
> looks quite interesting to explore. Besides the book I mentioned (and I am
> also going to check this on "Event Processing in Action" by Etzion) do you
> recommend any resource (book, article, etc) that elaborates more on the
> concepts you have described?
>
> Best regards
> Orlando.

  Edson Tirelli