[rules-users] Time unit step-size inside rule files.

Thorsten thorsten.schmidt84 at gmx.de
Fri Aug 20 04:29:20 EDT 2010

Hello Edson,

I think that the possibility to modify the timestamp would be a great
benefit especially for users working with Drools in combination with
technical sensor data. Sensors usally produce data with an much higher
output (lets say 8000 samples per second). The only ways to handle this
at the moment inside the rules is using the complete number of samples
using the timestamp in ms:
(e.g.  EventA(this after[13200ms] $eventB )
 // EventB 1.65s after EventA
or your suggested solution (Mapping method inside drl)

My suggestions are (Clean solution)
a) Make it possible to set the clock mode to a sample based mode.
   e.g. conf.setOption("TimeMode", "samples");

b) Make it possible to enter a reference timevalue relativ to 1 second.
   e.g. conf.setOption("BaseTimeReference",8000);

c) Create a time unit for samples ("smp") to adress both: time and
sample based events inside the rules

alternative (Workaround solution):
a) Create the possiblity to create your own time unit relativ to "ms".

e.g. drools.createTimeUnit("smp_s",8000)
//  creates a time unit named "smp_s" which has a duration of 8000ms.

That would make the life of developers who are working in a technical
environment so much easier.

Thanks
Thorsten