[rules-users] Database problem

nch underscore_dot at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 03:03:28 EDT 2010

Hi, there.

I need advice on how to approach the following. Hope I'm being clear:
- I have a database of over 30 tables.
- The database is being updated every now and then.
- I need to perform a bunch of calculations based on what's on the DB.
- Some of the calculations depend on intermediate calculations.
- I decided to use Drools in order to perform such calculations.
- Rules would take into account a wide range of factors.
- I know Drools is aware of facts that exist in its working memory only.
- On one hand I'd move the whole DB to the working memory in order to perform the calculations, but then I'd have to keep working memory and DB in sync.
- On the other hand I'd invoke Drools to perform specific calculations by passing it only relevant facts, but I think those relevant facts are a lot.

Should I try to keep DB and WM in sync? How? Should I try invoking Drools everytime I need a calculation? Are there any other alternatives?

Kind regards.