[rules-users] Database problem

paulB paul.borlin at sironahealth.com
Fri Aug 27 08:26:47 EDT 2010

We were faced with the same issue.  Eventually, I realized that we did not
need to have all the data in working memory at once.  I was able to break
down the use of the rules engine into smaller logical chunks.  I now have a
stateless session that the facts at hand "fly through" the engine on demand.
Other code does the fetching the next step.  I've even used Drools Flow to
break down these chunks.

Another thought, have you looked at the from conditional element?  That may
be the intermediary you're looking for.

http://downloads.jboss.com/drools/docs/5.1.1.34858.FINAL/drools-expert/html/ch04.html#RuleLanguage-ConditionalElements
4.8.3.8. Conditional Element from

Lastly, there is a case where we would need quite a bit of data in working
memory for things to work correctly.  We are now looking at Drools Solver to
narrow a subset of data that would be inserted into working memory.

This link may be helpful in your research as well:
http://blogs.illation.com.au/2009/07/drools-performance-comparison/