[rules-users] Better Performance and Maintainability?

HonorGod jagadeesh.motamarri at barclayscapital.com
Sun Jan 24 11:38:43 EST 2010

Hi,

Can someone plz help me understand performance and maintainability in the
following scenario - ?

I load tons of rows of data from database and store them in an object fact
model [POJO based] and apply the rules using decision tables and finally
persist data.

vs

I load tons of rows of data from database and store them in an object fact
model [HashMap - Key - Value] and apply the rules using decision tables and
finally persist data.

The difference in the above two scenarios is that one of them is pojo based
and the other is key-value pairs that are used on LHS of the decision
tables. When I use Key-Value approach I had to do lot of conversion in terms
converting the conditions into eval statements and validations but where as
the pojo approach is very straight forward and less validations.

Which approach gives me better performance and maintainability?

I would consider the following before I make a decision -

1 - size of data
2 - frequency at which the data changes [in terms of adding new conditions /
adding new columns / removal of new columns etc]
3 - re-usability

Thank You!