[rules-users] Storing and loading rules in database

wilsonywx wei.yuan at baml.com
Mon Jul 19 16:38:04 EDT 2010

I am trying to develop an application where users can specify rules at a
front end and the rule engine would execute in the backend. The users will
work with a pre-defined set of objects and actions they can take on the
objects.

I could use a BRMS such as Guvnor but I found the GUI lacking and not
friendly enough for the non-technical end users I am supporting. I will
instead write a front end for user input, which is stored in the DB, and the
backend will pull data and generate a .drl file each time it's run.

I have found an old article on loading rules in and out of a DB dynamically,
at
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/DROOLS/Loading+and+managing+rules+dynamically+from+a+database
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/DROOLS/Loading+and+managing+rules+dynamically+from+a+database
, which seems to fit my need. I am looking for feedbacks on users who have
tried this approach. How flexible is it? My main concerns is that future
versions of Drools might break a lot of things and require a lot of
recoding. To me it seems like a reasonable approach.