[rules-users] Storing and loading rules in database

Meeraj Kunnumpurath mkunnumpurath at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 19 16:49:26 EDT 2010

Hi,

We do something similar, a bit more intricate though. We have been
integrating Drools into an SCA container, where the rule infrastructure is
used as an implementation type. We define the implementation type in a SCDL,
which is an XML file that has the service component definitions. Like below
for example,

<composite>

    <component name="MyRoolsComponent">
        <implementation.drools resource="jdbc://myDs?query=foo" />
    </component>

</composite>

The resource attribute is a URL, and we have custom URL connection factories
that source DRL definitions from relational databases. The users may edit
the DRL files whichever way they want and upload through a web UI.

On a slight sidebar,  we also allow other components within the SCA
container, injected via DI as globals into the rule files. We are also able
to autowire non-components implemented in Groovy, BPEL etc, into globals
within the rules component based on contract compatibility checks.

Regards
Meeraj