[rules-users] how to access process variables within wait state node timers?

retoy reto.lamprecht at allianz-suisse.ch
Fri Jul 23 10:16:51 EDT 2010

That timer properties can not be changed dynamically is one thing. The other
thing is that in the code that is executed each time a wait state timer
fires, you seem to have no access to any process variables. Would you agree
on this, Kris? If yes, is this planned to change in the future?

I guess you could at least implement a wait state that continues after a
variable delay if you could access variables in the timer code. Namely by
updating some fact in the working memory i.e. influence the rule constraint
of the wait state.

I also tried signalling an event from within the wait state timer and update
the working memory from a subsequent action node where I do have access to
process variables. This although didn't work with me because of a strange
NullPointerException...

In case anyone is interested: Here is a small project with three approaches
for a wait state node that continues after a variable delay. Neither of them
works, but maybe someone can fix that...

Reto

http://drools-java-rules-engine.46999.n3.nabble.com/file/n989829/demo.variableTimer.zip
demo.variableTimer.zip