[rules-users] RuleAgents and containers

H.C. canterburry at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 12:56:03 EDT 2010

Pavel,

Thanks for the reply. However, if my change-set file and drl files are not
packed in the war/ear but located on the server's file system outside of the
app server then I do believe the JEE spec forces me to map an external
resource via JNDI? We want this because we need to frequently update the
rules without having to repackaging and deploy the application.

For this scenario, will the rule agent work correctly? Or...

Are you saying that my change-set file should be packaged with my
application but point to the drl files located outside of the app server? If
so, without using JNDI, wouldn't that break the container provided isolation
from the file system?

I am thinking this has to work somehow since Drools provides a way to manage
and deploy rules via Guvnor which obviously wouldn't always be located on
the same server as the execution environment and drools is deployed in
plenty of enterprise apps.

I just can't quite wrap my head around the correct architecture/setup.

Is there maybe a doc about this anywhere?

Thanks