[rules-users] Guvnor BRL format

Sreenath sreenathputta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 02:25:17 EDT 2010

  We are trying to build a Guvnor like application which is a super set in
terms of functionality.We have couple of home grown rule engines and all of
them represent the rules in a different format (they are all represented in
XML format but every one has their own XSDs). Now we are trying to come up
with common rule storage format so that we can maintain all the rules in a
single place and from there we are trying to build extensions which convert
this common storage format to target system run time format. In the future,
we are also planning to replace all these home grown engines with Drools.
Some of our use cases also need event correlation (Temporal reasoning part,
which is not supported in Guvnor BRL format) so we are planning to start
with Guvnor BRL format as common rule storage format and  trying to extend
this format to accommodate temporal reasoning part for events.

In Guvnor, you cannot do few things which are allowed in DRL format. Those
things we can address with either freeform or Dsl Sentence.

     Right now Guvnor uses apache Jackrabbit content management system, we
are trying to replace this one with database. so that we can store the rules
in BRL format (which is XML). For that we have gone through the Guvnor BRL
generation part and came up with XSD for BRL. we have added few extra xml
elements  to  accommodate  the things which are supported in DRL but not in
BRL. Like wise we are also trying to extend the BRL format to support
temporal reasoning.

   In Guvnor the BRL is converted to "RuleModel"  and from there to DRL. we
are trying to extend the RuleModel to support the newly added xml elements
and also trying to build extensions to convert them to DRL.

Thanks,
Sreenath