[rules-users] Resuming the Flow: SESSION_ID, PROCESS_INSTANCE_ID, WORKITEM_ID

tolitius webakaunt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 09:34:34 EDT 2010

Hi Salaboy,

    I see, this is helpful. So let's say I have a relationship between my
"someBusinessId" and session / process IDs:

  WorkflowService {
        resumeFlow ( someBusinessId ) {

                 workflowDao.findWorkflowInstanceBySomeBusinessId(); //
where WorkflowInstance is a bean with two properties: SESSION_ID and
PROCESS_INSTANCE_ID

                 // somehow getting the right WORKITEM_ID     <<<<<<<<
        }
  }

So I am able to find a SESSION_ID, and PROCESS_ID by my business key. And
let's say my flow has many workitems:

    1. By
"((WorkItemNode)processInstance.getNodeInstances().iterator().next()).getWorkItemId();"
will I always get a workitem that is in a "wait state"? What if I have
several of them in a "wait state" at the same time, how do I know which one
to complete?

    2. Just so I have a clear understanding of the Drools Flow processing
model: "What is a life cycle of SESSION_ID vs a life cycle of PROCESS_ID"?

Thank you,
/Anatoly