[rules-users] Insert Fact Speed bottleneck

djb dbrownell83 at hotmail.com
Wed May 5 04:19:51 EDT 2010

Hi Drools team,

I wrote a Drools application for my company, which evaluates clinical claim
processing rules.  That is, it checks current medical claims against the
patient's historical claims.

It appears that 95% of the run time is dedicated to inserting facts, which
is presumably when it propagates through the RETE graph, since firing the
rules takes no time.

But it seems like it's not fast enough.  I made a rule template, which by
trial and error of moving the conditions around, is optimised.  I'm
averaging 310ms, and need it to be under 170ms for it to be viable.

Is there any not-too-technical guide to optimisation somewhere?  (alpha and
beta-nodes scare me a bit).

Regards,
Daniel