[rules-users] Drools Rule Engine

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Tue May 18 13:18:49 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:46 PM, ramram <ramram858 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>  I am evaluating the rule engine of Drools and I have some questions:
>  1- Is there a way to make the rule dynamic and by that i mean that the
> parameter it takes can vary between 1 instance and another?

Rules don't have "parameters" in the sense this word is used for
procedures or methods.

For flexibility at rule compile time, check out the rule template feature.

To achieve dynamic adaption of values in pattern constraints you may use
a "parameter fact", collecting such values as fields and write your rules
accordingly.

>  2- is there a way to set the parameter in java and pass the parameter set
> to the drl file so that it can be evaluated against?

Yes, see the last sentence in my answer to 1.

>  3- concerning the number of users and optimization? is there any benchmark
> made and a comparison of how many users and rules the engine can handle?

The term "user" does not apply to a Drools rule engine.

How many rules? Asking this is similar to asking how many functions a C
compiler can handle. Both is impossible to answer in this general form. It
depends on the complexity of the rules; on the number (and size) of fact
objects in Working Memory, and several other parameters.

-W