[rules-users] Changes made to knowledge bases and the time associated with it

Luiz Eduardo Guida Valmont legvalmont at gmail.com
Wed May 19 11:57:12 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm working on an application that has to maintain a knowledge base that'll
change (a lot) over time; meaning some rules might change, others will be
added and, finally, some will be deleted from the KB. Our tests show the
following un-expected (imho *) behaviors:

   - Whenever the contents of the KB change, all rules associated with it
   are re-compiled.It doesn't matter whether one rule or all of them were
   changed.
   - If the time taken to re-compile all rules is greater than the frequency
   according to which resource change notification / scanner services poll the
   KB, then the KB will be re-compiled more than once. I can't measure how many
   extra compilations happen due to time constraints; it takes more than 10
   minutes for the application to compile all rules and something like 5
   minutes to recompile the smallest possible version of it.

So... my question is: is possible to fine tune this behavior so that drools
won't recompile everything from scratch? More than that, I'd like to have it
wait for itself to finish any compilation that might happening at the time.
Is it possible?

My approach to using drools is the following: create a KnowledgeAgent, then
have it apply a change set that points to a directory that contains DRL
files. And this has to be done for five different KA's. I suppose this is
the correct approach.

Thanks in advance for any feedback that you might have.

Regards,
Luiz Eduardo