[rules-users] Changes made to knowledge bases and the time associated with it

Esteban Aliverti esteban.aliverti at gmail.com
Wed May 19 12:05:06 EDT 2010

I was working in KnowledgeAgent incremental change-set processing. Right
now, the agent only adds to the kbase those rules that were modified. The
bad news are that in order to know if a rule was modified or not, the agent
must compile the resource.

Here you can find more info:
http://ilesteban.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/knowledge-agent-incremental-change-set-processing-and-binary-diff/

<http://ilesteban.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/knowledge-agent-incremental-change-set-processing-and-binary-diff/>I'm
planning to post a more detailed explanation of what happens inside the
kagent when processing change-sets.

Best,

2010/5/19 Luiz Eduardo Guida Valmont <legvalmont at gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on an application that has to maintain a knowledge base that'll
> change (a lot) over time; meaning some rules might change, others will be
> added and, finally, some will be deleted from the KB. Our tests show the
> following un-expected (imho *) behaviors:
>
>    - Whenever the contents of the KB change, all rules associated with it
>    are re-compiled.It doesn't matter whether one rule or all of them were
>    changed.
>    - If the time taken to re-compile all rules is greater than the
>    frequency according to which resource change notification / scanner services
>    poll the KB, then the KB will be re-compiled more than once. I can't measure
>    how many extra compilations happen due to time constraints; it takes more
>    than 10 minutes for the application to compile all rules and something like
>    5 minutes to recompile the smallest possible version of it.
>
> So... my question is: is possible to fine tune this behavior so that drools
> won't recompile everything from scratch? More than that, I'd like to have it
> wait for itself to finish any compilation that might happening at the time.
> Is it possible?
>
> My approach to using drools is the following: create a KnowledgeAgent, then
> have it apply a change set that points to a directory that contains DRL
> files. And this has to be done for five different KA's. I suppose this is
> the correct approach.
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback that you might have.
>
> Regards,
> Luiz Eduardo

Esteban Aliverti