[rules-users] What is contract between Heap Size and PermGen space

Satyendra Sharma satyendra.sharma at birlasoft.com
Thu Jun 9 06:05:22 EDT 2011

In my server Ram is 16GB but when

1. I tried to set max heap size to 2048MB in run.bat file and when started
jboss server it thrown exception as "Could not reserve enough space for
object heap" it accepted max 1336 mb.

2. and also  JBoss server did not accept more than 128MB PermGen space but
when I reduce the heap size from 1336 to 1024 it accepted PermGen space to
max 256MB.

Please let me know the reason when I have enough memory why it is not
accepting heap size as 2048 and what is contract between heap size and
PermGen space as reducing heap size helped PermGen space to increase.

-----
Satyendra Sharma