[rules-users] Audit Logs: Business Case? Any pearls of wisdom?

Vincent LEGENDRE vincent.legendre at eurodecision.com
Fri Aug 10 06:25:52 EDT 2012

I agree with Wolfgang on "it is common sense to have audit logs for a real application", and of course the way to do it with listeners.

Most of time, for my experience, these logs (which rule has triggered, what are the changes made (insert, retract, update...) ...) are simply dumped in the main application log file, and follow the same life cycle (deleted after some fixed time). Except for some really critical application that needs a strong justification of their results (like something doing quotations, or computing salaries), I don't see the utility of keeping all audit for all transactions in a production evironnement.
But for debug phase (and also users training phase), it is really useful.

In your mail, I see two distincts questions :
- Should you add in your system some audit functionnalities to log what happend somewhere : I would say yes
- Should you keep all this stuff somewhere, and how to store and how to format these information : I would say that raw logging is enough for debugging, but not if you have other requirements (like giving access to this to non IT rules author, use the audit result in a automated alert system, do report on rules usage, being able to answer to claims for a long period of time ...).