[rules-users] Hiding a column in web guided decision table disables a condition or action

jasonxzhong jason.zhong at ellucian.com
Wed Aug 15 22:08:14 EDT 2012

Hi,

I am trying to develop a guide decision table so that each row will
transform to the following rule

rule "..."
when
      data : RuleData(
         controlCode == 123,
         term = "<literal from cell>"
         )
then
      TermTicket t = new TimeTicket();
      t.setTerm(data.getTerm());
      t.setSomerValue(...)
      insert(t);
end

The condition that tests RuleData.controlCode attribute does not use any
value from the table itself but just a constant "123" so I added a BRL
fragment "controlCode equals to 123". This seems to work as long as this
column is not hidden and the checkbox in the corresponding column is checked
(by default the box is not checked therefore the condition is not added to
the rule). Since the condition does not require any user provided value it
is rather odd that it needs to be displayed in the table and requires user
to check the box to enable it. Is there a way to get around this or this is
a limitation of the guided decision table?

Similarly in the same rule I want to set the value of TermTicket.term to a
value taken from the RuleData, not from the table itself. Again I can get
this to work by using a free form DRL. However this also requires the column
itself to be shown in the table and the user needs to check the checkbox in
that column to enable this action.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jason