[rules-users] Continuous Planning values for task planning

Josef Bajada josef.bajada at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 19:53:44 EDT 2012

Hi Geoffrey,

Following your advice and after gaining some more understanding of planner,
I think approaching the problem as a chain of tasks one of the other makes
sense. It would have some 'wait' time between tasks where the end time of
the previous task is smaller than the minimum time the task has to wait
after its dependency (which could be different from the previous task).

I've noticed that in most examples (TSP and VRP), there is some separation
between the model and the planning entity that is being moved around in the
chain, which also makes sense. (For instance in TSP, Visit is the planning
entity while City is the data entity). When the planning entity gets
cloned, the data entity gets assigned to the clone.

I am concerned however, that with my dependency between tasks and their end
times (which are as such a property of the planning entity not the data
entity) I won't be able to model them in this way. (For a task to know
whether it has violated its hard constraint it needs to get access to the
end time of its dependency, which is in the planning entity). My concern is
that I might end up with a whole mess when it comes to the cloning of
tasks. I am also concerned about the performance of computing the end time
of each node recursively based on its previous task and dependent tasks.

What is the best approach in this case?

thanks,

Josef