[rules-users] Understanding Rules Firing Sequence

Michael Anstis michael.anstis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 06:28:09 EDT 2012

Assuming the row number indicates the sequence of your rules add the
salience attribute and have it "use reverse row numbers".

Then add an additional constraint that checks that "fee" has not been set;
e.g. "navclass( fees > -1 )" or "navclass( hasFeeBeenSet == false )"

As you have it now, all rules that match the given data will execute, so in
your example "txntype==buy" matches rule 6 too. You cannot control the
order rules' RHS execute with the same salience value (default is 0).

If you only add salience but not the additional check that "fee" has not
been set you will be able to control the order the rules' RHS execute but
not prevent later rules from firing after the earlier ones.

With kind regards,

Mike