[rules-users] Rules with variable timers

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 12:34:01 EST 2012

On 18 December 2012 17:32, riri <irina.adam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hy,
>
> Thank you very much for your response, I will definitely think about using
> declared types for user input.
The proposed UserParameter can be a Java class as well.

> I'm not exactly sure I understood how the
> attributes of UserParameter are set from outside the rule file in the code
> you posted.

I thought you want to let rule authors to set these values? If not, use a
POJO and and create and insert this fact.

> I found that in the documentation in section  5.7.6. "Accessing Declared
> Types from the Application Code" it is stated that these types are generated
> at knowledge base compilation time. Would it be necessary to create a new
> knowledge session each time these values are modified or can a previously
> created session be used?

If the parameters are in a fact, simply modify them, but make sure that the
session is "idle" at this moment. A change of any fact may retrigger rule
activations of the changed fact in combination with others.

> Lastly, I assume that the timer still has to be created with constant values
> and there is no way around that.

Note that a timer simply fires repeatedly, at defined times. This is not really
helpful in determining whether a fact arrives within a certain interval
unless you accept that this canbe delayed until the end of the interval.

-W