[rules-users] [planner] Scheduling events with varying durations - corrupted score

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 13:36:41 EST 2012

A) Timeslots only work if they are fixed in start and end time, _before_
any planning entities are assigned to them.
For example, in lesson planning, each timeslot is 50 minutes (for example).
In conference planning, timeslots differ in length, but there start and
end times are fixed:
the keynote is from 10 till 11, the university talks are from 12 till
15, the conference talks are from 12 till 13, ...

B) If that's not the case in your use case, you need to go a more
difficult route, similar to a "vehicle routing" problem.
The idea is that an Event is scheduled sequential after another Event
(or each Event has an index).
The score rules can use something like a custom insertLogical object
EventAssignedStartAndStopTime
(similar like how the nurse rostering score rules use insertLogical
objects).
This more difficult route is not yet supported by the construction
heuristics, but I am working on that for planner 5.4.
So you 'll need to write a custom SolverPhase to construction a solution
(see *StartingSolutionInitializer classes),
but you can still reuse the local search algorithms.

Op 03-01-12 18:59, n1ck schreef:
> Geoffrey,
>
> Thanks for the response. The timeslot can potentially hold many events of
> varying durations. I didn't create individual timeslots for each event since
> the duration of each event can be different. So the starttime of the first
> event is easy to assign to the start time of the timeslot. What I am not
> sure about is how to set the time of the subsequent events for that timeslot
> during solving. That is why I was using the collect to get all of the other
> events with the same timeslot but I can see how this would break things. I
> think I am overcomplicating things, but not sure what I am missing.
>
> Best Regards,
> Nick

With kind regards,
Geoffrey De Smet