[rules-users] FireUntilHalt

Edson Tirelli ed.tirelli at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 22:39:28 EDT 2012

   Which Drools version are you using?

   There are no "secrets", but you have to be aware that in this mode rules
will fire right away if they can. Also, if you are using 5.4.0.Final,
please read another e-mail I sent to the list today, as there was a
concurrency bug that was fixed in the 5.4.x branch that could cause NPE.

   Edson

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:16 PM, crajor <crjorge at sandia.gov> wrote:

> I have a fairly complicated drools program and I want to introduce temporal
> reasoning to it.  I spent a bit of time writing some proof-of-concept
> programs to get the feel of fusion and then tried to slowly introduce
> things
> into my original drools program.  When I changed my program from using
> fireAllRules() to using fireUntilHalt() on a separate thread, I suddenly
> get
> failures in my unit tests.  (My first thought was that there was a race
> condition between my unit tests and the thread calling fireUntilHalt() so I
> introduced a delay before my unit tests but no luck)
>
> Here are some of the behaviors I am seeing.
>
> 1) I occasionally get nullpointerexception from the thread running
> fireUntilHalt()
> 2) My lock-on-active rules aren't firing
>
> I have banged my head on this a while with no success.  (I even tried
> putting fireAllRules() in a loop because of suggestions I saw but no luck
> and same behavior).  My questions are, Is there a secret to using
> fireUntilHalt() that I am not aware of?  Can anybody point me to where I
> can
> educate myself on its proper use?
>
> BTW no persistence and no spring in the code at this point.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide.
>
> Craig

  Edson Tirelli
  JBoss Drools Core Development
  JBoss by Red Hat @ www.jboss.com