[rules-users] Drools Planner changing problem fact (2D bin packing with related dimension and continuous values)

Ralph S. ralphschwitalla at me.com
Wed Jun 20 09:57:06 EDT 2012

Hi Geoffrey,
thanks for the answer.
I like the idea with the getPrevious(X/Y)Item from a combinatorial point of
view, but practially it doesn´t work because you can have more than one
previous item (bigger one has 2 smaller ones to the left/above) and vice
versa, which will let the combinations also explode.

I still like to implement an online Guillotine algorithm (cut the remaining
space and do an heuristic search on the possible results) in drools if it´s
possible.  Therefore i still have no idea how to handle the dynamically
changing list of free spaces.

Greetings
Ralph