[rules-users] Drools Planner changing problem fact (2D bin packing with related dimension and continuous values)

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 10:48:38 EDT 2012

I don't know anything about Planner, so pardon me if this isn't helping any.

Allocating rectangles into a bigger rectangle could be discretised,
provided the dimensions have a certain granularity. This means that
you have a gridded "arena", from which you allocate certain grid
subsets for the "cuts".

There are some well known techniques for representing gridded areas,
and the corresponding geospatial functions are quite efficient.

I surmise that Planner constraints can be formulated based on a
gridded approach, but (see 1st sentence) I wouldn't know how.

-W

PS: From some research done ~30 years ago I have a vague recollection
that the 2D cutting stock problem is a well trodden area. Google
produces some newer results as well.