[rules-users] Error messages are not like the ones described in documentation

Magnus Vojbacke magnus.vojbacke at digitalroute.com
Thu Nov 15 07:20:00 EST 2012

MY DROOLS BINARIES VERSIONS:
drools-clips-5.4.0.Final.jar
drools-compiler-5.4.0.Final.jar
drools-core-5.4.0.Final.jar
drools-decisiontables-5.4.0.Final.jar
droolsjbpm-introduction-docs-5.4.0.Final.jdocbook
drools-jsr94-5.4.0.Final.jar
drools-persistence-jpa-5.4.0.Final.jar
drools-templates-5.4.0.Final.jar
drools-verifier-5.4.0.Final.jar

BACKGROUND:

I'm embedding drools in an application.

To test the error handling, I'm trying to import a type that doesn't exist:

import does.not.exist;

When I print out the error messages from KnowledgeBuilder.getErrorMessages() they all look similar to this:

Error importing : 'does.not.exist'
Rule Compilation error : [Rule name='Telnet']
                             defaultpkg/Rule_Telnet_cdef8401dd054fb59abb4e33b76d12f7.java (2:74) : Only a type can be imported. does.not.exist resolves to a package

I have looked at section 4 - "Error messages"  in the drools expert documentation - http://docs.jboss.org/drools/release/5.4.0.Final/drools-expert-docs/html_single/index.html#d0e4249 to find a description of error messages.

MY QUESTION:

There is an error message format described in the drools expert documentation:
" 1st Block: This area identifies the error code.
2nd Block: Line and column information.
3rd Block: Some text describing the problem.
4th Block: This is the first context. Usually indicates the rule, function, template or query where the error occurred. This block is not mandatory.
5th Block: Identifies the pattern where the error occurred. This block is not mandatory."

Why is my error message not formatted like the documentation describes?