[rules-users] Drools scalability in home automation scenarios

riri irina.adam at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 10:14:04 EST 2012

Thank you for your response! Yes, you are right, there will be some rules
that are absolute and available to all the users so a single knowledge base
approach would make sense. From what I can gather from the Drools Expert
documentation you can have a knowledge agent that can update the knowledge
base if new resources are added. In this way one can add new rule files,
please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

My first question is, is there a mechanism to differentiate between the
rules defined by each user and not have all of them apply? For example if
one user has a rule that turns on the heating when the temperature drops
below 16 degrees and another for 18 degrees? I am still trying to figure out
how the knowledge base, sessions and the working memory work together so
please bear with me.

My second question is, if rule execution is possible in a separate manner
depending on the user and everything could be done using sessions, how would
drools perform when having 100 or more of these sessions working
concurrently on the same knowledge base?

Again, extremely grateful for all your input, time and patience!