[rules-users] Drools consuming a lot of memory for short lived objects thus impacting average response time.

manohars manohar_satkar at infosys.com
Fri Nov 23 01:31:04 EST 2012

Hello,

We are using Drools 5.3.0 Final distribution using decision tables(.pkg rule
files) in our solution. However, Drools is taking a lot of memory (@ 350 mb
on Linux-64bit).
 On profiling,we realize that huge number of short lived objects are getting
created.(org.drools.impl.StatefulKnowledgeSessionImpl, IndexVariableResolver
class and org.mvel2.* classes). It leads increase in Garbage Collection
cycles there by leaving an impact on average response time.
Is there any clever way to use Drools to achieve @ 1 millisecond to 2
millisecond response time given the rules are simple? We tried to use drl
based rules but no improvement.
Any idea about how to deal with this such a big memory contributors ?

Regards,
Manohar