[rules-users] Guvnor Rule Validation

rjr201 rich.j.riley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 06:41:25 EDT 2013

I'm creating a system which embeds the Guvnor Guided Editor and uses the REST
API to allow the user to edit and create rules.

I can't trust the user to create syntactically correct rules. If they do
create an invalid rule then the whole package of rules will fail to compile.
I need to find a way to detect that a individual rule has broken, and point
the user to that rule. So they don't just sit there not understanding why
it's not working.

I can see that when using standalone Guvnor this wouldn't be a problem, as
the user would be able to see that the rule has a red cross next to it
meaning something is wrong with that rule.

Has anyone else had experience doing this? Is there a way to get the UUID of
the specific rule that is causing the package not to compile?

I've had thoughts about putting each rule in it's own package, and then
creating a layer in my code to hide this from the user. But that seems like
a hack.. and I suspect it would drastically effect the performance..

As always, thanks any help/advice anyone can give.