[rules-users] Rule Templates - Conditionally Generate Rule based on Values in Data

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 12:22:29 EDT 2013

A *rule template *is a text (file) intended to be expanded repeatedly using
different sets of template parameters, similar to a macro processor. Each
expansion will generate - more or less - the same rule, unless you put the
flexibility into the parameter, which just passes the buck to the code
driving the expansion.

Let's say that you want to be alerted if one of your lucky numbers becomes
a fact. You can write a template, create a collection of your lucky numbers
and run the expander to create one rule for each of your lucky numbers.
This is explained in section "Expanding a Template".

Most of the time, sets of almost identical rules can be avoided if facts
containing parameter sets are inserted and rules are written to match the
values from a ParameterSet fact rather than literals, as would be done by
generated rules. Consider
  when
     Integer( valueOf == 7 )
  when
     Integer( valueOf == 13 )
as opposed to
   when
      Parameter( $n: number )
      Integer( valueOf == $n )
with appropriate Parameter facts (7, 13).

-W