[rules-users] Package Snapshot question

IPatel ishita.patel at usbank.com
Mon Mar 4 11:14:06 EST 2013

Hi,

I have read several posts regarding package snapshot and still have few
questions.

The is the goal of our exercise:

Find out a solution for a <specific process> in such a way that we can
deploy any changes made  with no or minimal code changes required. We are
investigating drool as POC for this process.

This is what i know about package snapshots:

it allows one to lockdown any changes made to the assests. These changes
will not affect the application. This will help us because when our business
partners are making changes to the rules or updating the exisiting one, prod
application will not be impacted.

ChangeSet.xml file will have to point  this snapshot url

These are the questions i have:

I see there are 3 options when dealing with snapshot:

1)create new one: When creating a new one, i believe i will have to make
changes to the changeset.xml file everytime its creation. Can i configure
this file in way that it automatically reads the package(s) created so i
dont have keep on updating it? Under what scenarion this is a good option to
use?

2)modify/replace existing one

If i select this option , the benifit will be that i dont have to change the
xml file. However what happens if there are problems and we have to revert
back to the old package. Does the system save old version of the package
before updating it with a new one?

3) My current POC's xml file points to the LATEST. Is there a benifit in
just using this and not using  snapshot? How risky this is? will i be able
to access previous version of the package/rule in case of a disaster.

You input is greatly appreciated.