[rules-users] Expert Systems and Functional programming?

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Tue Mar 12 09:13:17 EDT 2013

OPS83?
http://repository.cmu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2478&context=compsci

or YES/L1? (seems information on this is out of print and not online either)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00070YQSU/ref=r_soa_w_d
"YES/L1: Integrating expert systems technology with traditional programming languages (Research Report RC. International Business Machines Inc. Research Division)"

I definitely find linq interesting, as it's straight out of the research pages from these projects - I wonder if the linq/database propel know about these… The first time I saw it was in this paper "procedural match augments data-driven match"
http://www.aaai.org/Papers/AAAI/1986/AAAI86-037.pdf

They move the "lhs" logic into the consequence block, using the actual "when" part as a simple goal trigger - allowing the 'lhs' to be used procedurally, like linq. This allows them to control when a rule is evaluated and that it's evaluation is atomic, and can have cleanup work done.

Mark