[rules-users] Expert Systems and Functional programming?

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Fri Mar 15 22:44:37 EDT 2013

There hasn't been a lot of expert system engine research since 1995:
http://blog.athico.com/2012/05/drools-54-artificial-intelligence.html

In general academics have focused more on the logic programming side, referred to as knowledge representation and reasoning. Developing formalised semantics to represent the world around us, and mappings between those representations. The mapping/layered aspect was a key aspect of he RIF standard. Examples of formalised representations would be Defeasible Logic, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defeasible_logic, and Description Logic, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Description_logic. The engine which implements this is just a side note, and typically they target prolog. Take a look at the last 5 years of RuleML published papers, and you'll get a good idea.

Academic engines of interest:
Flora-2/XSB, jDrew, silk, opencyc, jess, openrdf, jena.

I inlcude Jess in the above, which is actually still more popular than Drools in Academia - although it's not open source (only free for non-commercial use).

OWL and semantic ontologies drives a lot of the engine implementation research these days.

Mark