[rules-users] KnowledgeAgent to update knowledge base built with Guvnor pkg

Davide Sottara dsotty at gmail.com
Thu May 2 21:53:05 EDT 2013

Ok... I think I know what is happening..

Background: each element in a package (rule, process, function, etc..)
is mapped to the resource it was defined in. Resources can then be monitored
for changes and the KB will be updated as appropriate.
When the KnowledgeAgent (KA) is created with an initial KB,
it will not rebuild the mapping between elements and existing resources, but
"trust" the preexisting mapping and monitor the resources declared by
the KB.
The KA only builds the mapping itself when  it's actively applying a
changest to
modify the KB it's managing.

This said, here's what's probably happening in your case:

You create a KB "manually" using the KnowledgeBuilder, which downloads
the serialized package from Guvnor. The elements in this package have been
created and mapped to the "internal" (guvnor-side) reader resource, not the
URLResource that Guvnor would expose the package at.
Of course this resource is not serializable, but is not replaced by Guvnor,
so the client gets a PKG whose elements are mapped to a "void" resource.
The KnowledgeBuilder does not override it - actually, it wouldn't
override it
even if it was NULL!.
Now, the KA won't either.. since 1) it trusts the preexisting mapping
in the KB and 2) it never sees the UrlResource in the first place.
In summary, when the KA tries to monitor an element's resource for changes,
it will try to use the void reader resource rather than the urlResrouce,
which explains why you don't get the desired updates.

The natural workaround is to initialize the KA with an empty KnowledgeBase.
Then, let the KA manage the resources by applying a changeset, as shown
in the documentation.

Best
Davide

IMHO, this behavior borderlines a bug. The KB on the client side is
essentially
corrupted, since rules, type declarations, etc.. are loaded with a "nulled"
resource. Currently, PackageBuilder.addPackageFromInputStream does not
override the resources in the PKG elements with the PKG itself.
I think I see the idea: if the PKG has been used for persistence, the
behavior
is correct. But here the PKG is used for distribution, so it should be
overridden.
Options are:
- always override
- always override if the PKG comes from a UrlResource (probably not robust)
- override if element.resource is null (likely to be impossible) OR
null-equivalent,
  as in this case
- never override ( the current approach )
- other ideas?