[rules-users] What is URL for Guvnor REST API in 6.0.0-Final?

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Mon Nov 25 15:07:33 EST 2013

Comments inline. But just a reminder, if you see how to improve the docs, please contribute.
http://docs.jboss.org/drools/release/6.0.0.Final/drools-docs/html/Welcome.html#gettingstarted

Mark
On 25 Nov 2013, at 19:52, SrjTx <clickthex at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys!
>
> Here's our use-case/flow.
>
> Could you please share your recommendations on our application integration
> with Guvnor 6.0.0
>
> We have SwitchYard 1.1 applications that are using the kie method to
> interact with a Drools backend.  In this method you point what used to be a
> 5.5 CHANGE_SET backend and the middleware takes care of the typical sync of
> change sets with the application so that it have visibility into the rule in
> its runtime from the guvnor control point.  With 6.0.0, as you say, things
> of change.  We would like to continue using the SwitchYard kie interface
> with 6.0.0.
ChangeSet no longer exists. We build jars, we publish jars, we consume jars. Nothing much more to it.

> 1. As per (Comment 8 at https://community.jboss.org/thread/234691), it looks
> like kie integration is much more complex and not clear as to how I would
> integrate.  Is there than an authoritative document that shows the
> equivalent 6.0.0 flow, so that our application can get visibility into the
> rules, etc. as it did with 5.5
My recommendation is to read the overview:
http://docs.jboss.org/drools/release/6.0.0.Final/drools-docs/html/KIEChapter.html#KIEOverviewSection

Then to go through the build/deploy/utilize set of exemples and corresponding tutorial.
http://docs.jboss.org/drools/release/6.0.0.Final/drools-docs/html/KIEChapter.html#KIEExamplesSection

It’s a change from 5.x. but once people get the hang of it, they’ll find it simpler and more streamlined.

> 2. As per the comment about GIT, if git the access API for retrieving
> packages, is there documentation about how to unmarshall data in git so that
> we can write some middleware to insert into kie layer in SwitchYard to hit
> the repo via git?
Packages do not exist as a deployable component. There is the source, contained in GIT. There is a JAR published via maven.

GIT is just source, the drl etc. Just use standard GIT commands to check it out. You don’t need to marshal it, it’s just source.

The JAR is just a jar, that’s published by maven. The local m2_repo is exposed via http url, making it a remotely accessible maven repository. Download the jar, unzip it inspect the contents.

> 3. Assuming we are using the guvnor frontend to manage rules, deploy rules,
> compile assets, etc.  We are not looking for APIs to manage functionality.
> We need the equivalent of REST to get the information about the assests
> inside the packages/model.  For example, in 5.5 there were multiple REST
> calls where you could specify an asset UUID and get its "source code" over
> rest - In the case of BRL rules that source was XML.  That XML is what we
> need.  Can you comment on approaches to getting the equivalent data in the
> new git scenario?
All source is in GIT, it’s not encoded or anything special. All languages have bindings for GIT access.

Mark